- This event has passed.
Classification and Indexing of Business Records
September 1, 2020 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm$220.00
This online 4 hour course provides you with an understanding of how classification and indexing are an integral part of the Records Management Programme. In this course you will learn about the different methods of classification which can be applied to records. The course focuses on the Function Activity classification method advocated in the AS ISO 15489 Records Management Standard and you will have an opportunity to use a Function Activity based classification tool, similar to those used by State and Local Government agencies in Western Australia.
This course will cover:
- What is records classification and why it is applied to business records;
- What records classification systems are available to group records together;
- Why your organisation’s business terms need to be controlled;
- Principles of Function Activity classification, what it is and how to use it;
- Indexing – the key to finding documents; and
- Metadata – what it all means
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Understand how classification and indexing play an important role with records management;
- Describe the purpose and benefits of classifying records;
- Describe the different records classification schemes that may be used;
- Describe the benefits associated with classifying records by business functions and activities; and
- Review correspondence and apply metadata/indexing terms.
- Had an opportunity to use a Function Activity based classification tool;
- Examples of correctly indexed correspondence; and
- Gained some Tips and Tricks for successful classification and indexing.